Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Monday Menu (Eventhough it is Tuesday)

I am going to post my weekly menu every Monday. This idea is about 4 fold. First, I just loved the idea, but I must give credit where credit is due. I got the idea from Crystal. Not my best friend Crystal, who I am sure would have a great idea like this, but a Crystal who is about 3 blogs removed from me. (We all know how that goes. You are blogging and then you wind up on someone's blog and you have no idea who that person is or how you got there, but you love some of their ideas. I found her through my cousin's blog.)

Another reason for the weekly menu is that my Mom feels that though I am well into adulthood, I am STILL growing up too fast and she is missing out on way to much. This way at least she will know that I am capable of feeding myself and my husband properly. Plus, she can depend on a new blog post at least every Monday (well in this case Tuesday, but you get where I am going here.)

Also, I have noticed that coming up on my third year of marriage, dinners can become very repetitive. I understand that everyone has their "go-to" meal, but when I am using that "go-to" meal every night, it becomes a "not again" meal real quick! This menu thing will give me some checks and balances and keep me accountable.

And fourthly (that works right?), for the last 7 months Brooks and I have been trying to get out of debt. Though I would LOVE to eat out every night, I just know that eating in will save us A LOT of money. I have been making a menu for the last 7 months because I have noticed that if we know exactly what we are going to eat that night, we are less likely to go out to eat. I am just going to keep track of it now online.

Ok, now that I have explained EVERYTHING, here is our Monday Menu:

Monday:
Catalina Salad

Tuesday:
Vegetable Soup with Bread

Wednesday:
Broccoli Beef over rice

Thursday:
Spaghetti w/ peas

Friday:
BLT Pizza


Saturday:
Turkey Noodle Casserole and green beans
(Ok this is a total lie! Wow! I wanted to make it sound better than it really was because the world wide web now knows what I feed my family. Talk about pressure!!! It is really just Hamburger Helper but with ground turkey instead of hamburger. Don't judge me people! Like I said, this is keeping me accountable! I am hoping that we will eat out Saturday night! Crap... I just remembered reason #4. Hamburger Helper it is!)

Sunday:
Corn Chowder

If any of these dishes sound good to you, just ask me for the recipe. Some of these dishes are brand new for me, so I will evaluate them on next weeks menu.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this idea. Now I can steal your recipes!!

Crystal said...

Jax, I got so excited when I saw that you got an idea from me - especially when I learned that you were just being a good bff and giving me credit for something I didn't do - and then I realized that it wasn't me after all......... geez! I love this idea - in fact Ginet (Zach's wife) makes out her menu for a MONTH!!! She is way organized, I wonder if she post her menu on line???? Food for thought (get it, we are talking about food).

wendy_d23 said...

I love it! I have been doing weekly menus for over a year and it saves us sooo much money and time too! I can only go to the store on Sat so I know exactly what I need and don't waste time buying food we don't eat! I only plan 5 meals though, one night is leftovers or cold sandwiches or breakfast and then hopefully we go out (cheap: Wendy's or 5 guys). Then I don't feel pressure to cook every night.
There are tons of whats for dinner this week blogs out there too for good dinner ideas and to feed my blog stalking habit.

Jake, Camille, Kennedy & Jacob said...

So you're telling me Brooks will eat just a salad for dinner? You are so lucky!!! Jake has to have meat, then some sides, then some salad, and possibly some toast on the side! That's why we go out to eat so much! Good luck! I have a really good cookbook if you need some ideas!

Trevor and Roxanne Foster said...

Jax, I do this every week also. I got it from my mother-in-law, and it definitely saves money and time. I plan, buy two weeks worth of groceries, and then I let my mind rest until I have to do it again two weeks later. Totally worth it!

Ashley.Preston.Tate said...

Allrecipes.com is a life saver. People review them and tell you the changes they've made. You can search by the ingredient or how much time you have.

My system:
I cook a couple meals on Sundays and Tuesdays and make double of the ones that freeze well. So I end up only cooking like twice a week. Because I can always pop one out of the freezer from weeks prior.

J'net said...

Did you really hurry home to eat Broccoli Beef over rice after taking the YM thru Wendy's drive thru? I would
have ordered $1 menu and eaten on the way home!
You are impressing even your MOM! I think that planning a meal around a vegetable instead of a meat is the healthy way to eat the evening meal... Meat is for the MID-day meal, so you don't lay on it all night!
What do you serve for dessert on those nights?
Luv, MOM