Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Inevitable

With the baby coming, our 95o square foot city apartment getting smaller and smaller and gas prices just going higher and higher, Brooks and I decided that it would be a good idea to move out closer to his work. This has been a really tough decision for us because we love living in the city and we love our ward! It has been a great 3 year run in Atlanta, but it is time to say goodbye to the city and hello to suburbia.

We decided to rent for 6 months in an area that we love so we can keep our eyes out for houses that come on the market. We are living in Downtown Douglasville. It is a cute little downtown area. The house is across the street from the local city newspaper and kitty-corner to the city police station. Brooks and I have really grown to love this area over the past few months. The great thing is that rent will be cheaper and it is walking distance (4 blocks) from Brooks' office and since I work with him three days a week, this will save us a TON in gas. This is the place we are renting. I love the porch and the backyard is so nice. It is naturally fenced by tall, thick trees. The inside is all hardwood and has three fireplaces. It is a very old house, but I love it! The whole downtown area is filled with these old historic homes so we are crossing our fingers that one will come on the market while we are living here. The man who owned this house just passed away and left it to his grandson who, after the estate settles (about 6 months or so) might want to sell it. Let's hope! I would love to buy this house!

Brooks and I are going to miss Atlanta and all of the people we have become close too, but we are excited for the new adventure and I keep telling myself... "We are only 20 minutes away and it is only 6 months. If I hate it, Atlanta will always be there!"

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the gazebo. Nice find, you guys.

jenny said...

ok, so i have lots to say but we will save that for a phone conversation!! that house is darling though and i'm sure you will love it. i, however am going to miss you being so close. i was having visions of us walking our babes through piedmont park. boo.

Lisa said...

Beautiful house! I bet its even cuter on the inside I can't wait to see it! I hope you get to buy it!

R.M. said...

Yea jacki and brooks! I love the house! Post pictures!

Crystal said...

Cute Jax! I love the gazebo too!!! That is the first thing I noticed - I can't wait to come all the way over from Roswell which is about 1.5 hour drive just to see you guys! I'm really not bitter about it! ;)~

Pa Pa Jim said...

Jax, The house looks GREAT!! The roof looks 'newer' & the house paint looks well kept. Yard work will be your Saturday activity for awhile. Make a spot for Grandpa Jim to visit. I'm looking forward to another grand daughter.
Love, DAD

Sara said...

Looks great, you guys! Maybe I'll live with you afterall! :)

Ashley.Preston.Tate said...

I'm so jealous of that porch!!! So much character!

abbyB said...

That house is adorable! I'm hoping that y'all can buy it when it goes on sale! That would be awesome!!!

Jake, Camille, Kennedy & Jacob said...

I LOVE IT!!! I seriously love historic homes! I was trying to find one here in AZ for us to live but unforunately here they rent for about $1500+ so that's not happening. I'm so excited for you guys! I can't wait to see it when we come out in November. Good luck moving! It's no fun!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! I totally love that gazebo. It looks like a great house. Can't wait to see pictures of the inside. And good luck with the move. As someone who has moved not once, but twice while pregnant, take care, rest lots, don't lift ANYTHING even remotely heavy and definitely let other people help you tons!

Megan said...

That home is adorable. Love it!!! That would be so cool if the owners were selling too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your family. Also I'll let you know about any car leads if I hear anything. I know you mentioned that on my blog. :)

Jamiee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamiee said...

Nice house Jackie! LOVE the huge front porch! It looks like your living closer to all of us out here in the dallas area, yay! What ward are you all in?

Jessica said...

Holy perfect southern house! How fun is that?!

Jan said...

Wow, that is a cool house. I hope you are able to buy it.

wendy_d23 said...

Lame for us you are moving, but a new fun adventure for your new family and I know you will love all the space! And the yard too, I hope they will take care of it for you. I am sure within 6 months you will find something wonderful to move into (if not that house), and your really not that far from the city, so I'm sure it will all work out.

Kelly said...

LOVE THE HOUSE!!!!!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!!!! I just love it Jax!!!

jessica said...

I LOVE this house!!! It is so adorable!

J'net said...

Way cute house! SO old and southern for you guys to practice "house" on! Is the mailbox in the middle of the walk-up side walk? Maybe that's "southern" style?
I would teach out on that porch on your "cool" spring/summer days!!! What's behind those dormer windows? Can't wait to help you "Design on a DIME!!" Luv, Mom

John and Brieanne Dabney said...

Yea! I finally figured out how to look at your blog. How's the belly? I don't think mine can get any bigger - it's embarassing! in response to your comment - I'm not the biggest fan of AZ, but Sedona and other parts are pretty amazing! Good luck with everything!

Wallace Clan said...

So I have already mentioned how much we love the house. I am ready for more posts. Come on Jacki I need to live babyhood and moving through you and Brooks!!! J/k Love ya guys!

Lauren said...

Congratulations, you guys! On everything. What an exciting time in your lives.

When is the actual move? Let me know, and I'll help.