Monday, April 30, 2007

Huntsville, AL

This last weekend Brooks and I went to Huntsville , AL for a dance competition. A girl that I work with asked if I could dance with her in it. It was a trio jazz number to Duke Earl. Just to let you know, I am not a dancer. I know I teach it, but you know that saying "those who can't do, teach". Well, I teach. The other two girls are amazing! One dances for the Georgia Ballet and the other has been dancing professionally in different theater programs nationwide for over 7 years. I, on the other hand... Teach! The whole experience was so fun though. I really do like to dance and perform on stage. I felt old however, and I have completely lost my competitive edge. Huntsville was beautiful and it was a nice weekend to just get out of town and relax.
The preliminaries were Friday morning, so Brooks and I left Thursday night. We ALWAYS take a driving picture, so we had to again!We danced first Friday morning. After that we just relaxed around the hotel. At 5:30pm we decided to go back to the Huntsville Civic Center to see if we made it to the finals. They only pick the top 3 dances in each category to move onto the finals. When the sheet went up we saw that we made it to the finals! We were really excited!
Me, Bethany (Dances for Georgia Ballet) and Jennifer (the choreographer and professional performer) right before we performed Saturday night.

Brooks got the final dance on video. I am the hot pink dancer. Bethany is in the purple and Jennifer is in the red.



We didn't win our category, but the top three was good enough for me. Told you I lost my competitive edge!

5 comments:

Sara said...

That's cool, Jacki. You look really good onstage!

Lexia said...

I enjoyed the movement, music, costumes, and playfulness of the piece.

Crystal said...

Jax, that was fun to watch! You don't give yourself enough credit...when is the next competition?

abbyB said...

Sweet dance, Jacki! I can't wait to open up our studio!!

Anonymous said...

I think dance lessons and syncronized swim paid off! The only thing missing was the WATER! You guys did a great presentation, little jazzy, some good technique and looked like you were enjoying it. That's a good experience for a teacher to perform, keeps her on her toes...
Luv, MOM