Monday, August 07, 2006

Service Project

Brooks and I went down to Mississippi this last weekend to help build the homes of Hurricane Katrina victims. It was such a great experience. We drove down around 3pm on Friday and arrived at the Gulfport stake center around 10pm. We got there before most of the volunteers so we got the first pick on rooms to sleep in. I decided on the Mother's Lounge. It was small and had a counter which was important. Luckily it didn't smell like diapers. So we set up our air matress and went to Burger King for dinner. We got back and I fell right to sleep. Brooks was up socializing until about 1am. The next morning we met with our group around 7am and started out towards Biloxi Mississippi. God blessed us with a cool front and rain that day which made it a lot easier to work. The home that we were working on had only a little bit of drywall up when we arrived. So we started to work. I really had no idea what I was doing, but I caught on pretty quickly. Brooks was an old pro! He really is such a great worker. We left around 6pm completely tired! It was a good tired though. We were so close to the ocean so we decided to go and look at the water. There wasn't really a beach, but the water looked so calm. It was unbelievable to think that an ocean that looked so calm could devastate so many homes. Nature is so powerful! Anyway, we got back to the stake center, showered up and went to Sonic for dinner. We were asleep that night by 10pm. Sunday morning we woke and went to a church service at 7am. We then headed back to the house to finish up our work. We passed this awesome Oak tree on the way so Brooks had to take a picture of it. Sunday was really hot, but we kept on working. We finished around noon and the whole house had drywall. That's right people I can now drywall! Super fun! Anyway, it was such a great experience to go and serve. It really made me realize how much I take for granted, like walls! I am so happy that we ended up going. Not only did we get to help those without homes, we got to learn important skills.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

On behalf of my fellow Mississippians, we thank you for all of your efforts! Aren't service projects fun? I think they are! Jacki, you are the only girl in your stake? Weird...

Anonymous said...

On behalf of my fellow Mississippians, we thank you for all of your efforts! Aren't service projects fun? I think they are! Jacki, you are the only girl in your stake? Weird...

Anonymous said...

On behalf of my fellow Mississippians, we thank you for all of your efforts! Aren't service projects fun? I think they are! Jacki, you are the only girl in your stake? Weird...

Sara said...

Whoa, what happened, anonymous???

That is a nice tree. I would've loved to learn how to put up drywall. That's a great skill to have, Jacki! Good job!

Jake, Camille, Kennedy & Jacob said...

WOW, I'm so impressed with u2 people. Sonic & Burger King are GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to your blog in ages! Great job Jax. You and Brooks have done so much in your first year and a half. I am proud of both of you. You look Great together! Love MOM Snow P.S. I can NEVER remember my blog user name or password. Aged, you know hahah