Monday, June 27, 2011

Oh, Utah!

The kids and I got to go out to Utah to visit family for 9 days in June. Yep, I ventured cross country, by myself, with two kids, to visit family. What was I thinking, right? On the way over there, because it was cheaper, I guess, we had a 35 minute layover. Once again, what was I thinking? But luckily the kids traveled amazingly and we made it without a hitch.

My mom met us in the SLC airport when we landed. Thanks goodness! I have no idea how I would have gotten the bags, kids, car seats and rental car without her help. Well, maybe I could have done it but it would have taken me a lot of tears, sweat and about 10 hours.

After we settled and met up with my sister Jenna, we had a great sushi dinner (awesome 50% off coupon Jen!) and went back to Jenna's apartment.


The first thing my mom said when we got back was, "Jacki, Jordyn needs a few things to play with." Ok, mom... So she took Jordyn to Walmart right away to get her a few "things". She came back with a purse, a new princess doll, some jewelries, a workbook and 2 new outfits. I guess that just comes with being with Gammy though!

Jenna took the first day off of work and we all got manicures and pedicures. (Another awesome 50% off coupon, Jen! Nice!) We had lunch, did a little shopping and went back to her house exhausted. A great first day of vacation!

The next day my mom, the kids and I headed down to Provo. My brother-in-law's family live down there, along with my Uncle's family. It was fun playing around Provo.

This little guy started to sit up. (Well leaning against something)

I made sure to eat a Cafe Rio on Thursday for their Pork Tamales (yes, they were amazing, Kim!)

And we ate an AMAZING dinner at my BIL's. Lindsey made the best corn on the cob ever! And we went to BYU creamery after.

On Friday we went to a really fun Childrens Art Festival. Jordyn loved hanging out with her cousins and making things. Thanks Lindsey for inviting us to it!
On the way back up to SLC, we stopped by one of my best friends house to say "Hi". We figured it had been 6 years since we saw each other last. WAY too long! But you know how good friends are, we didn't miss a beat!



By Friday night, this little booger started getting pretty sick. He was coughing so hard that he would make himself throw-up.

On Saturday morning he woke up and his eye was sealed shut with crusties. Poor little guy! I thought he might get better after a good day of rest,

so we enjoyed our doughnut breakfast (yes, those are Maple Bacon doughnuts! Why not, right?) and just let him hang around the house and nap. Gammy offered to watched him and Jenna and I went shopping. I know, having Gammy around ROCKS!

We went to the Down East Basics warehouse. Yes, it was amazing! I gave myself $100 to shop this trip and I was able to get: 5 dresses, 6 skirts, 1 blazer, 7 shirts and a dress for Jordyn for $130. I know I was $30 over, but Jordyn's was $7 of that :)

Anyway, I thought I made out! That was the highpoint of the trip because after that, it started going downhill fast!

Poor Brax wasn't getting any better and when you are staying in an one bedroom, loft apartment (meaning there isn't an official 'wall' insulating the noise) with people that have to get up early for work the next day, it is hard enduring those 1am, 3am and 5am coughing fits!

I stayed in Jenna's apartment all day Sunday and Monday. This trip, I think I realized that I am officially an adult. Those days of "oh yeah, I'll just crash on your couch for a week" are over! It's sad, but I just realized that I missed my bed and my bathroom and my house. And trying to keep a NOT kid-friendly apartment clean while your 3 year old has watched every Backyardagain's episode available on Netflix, gets old really fast! On top of all that, my baby was sick!

So... I decided to head home earlier than planned. I was sad about it, but it had to be done. Delta kindly changed our tickets (after a little discussion) but they did it for free so I can't complain and we were back home by Tuesday evening.

My Aunt Nancy said "When planning a trip, make sure to have the most fun the last few days because those will be the things you remember the most". She said this right after her 3 week trip to Italy... must be nice ;-)

But really, hopefully I will remember this trip to Utah as fun! Even though the last few days were NOT fun!

2 comments:

Aubry said...

Sounds like a fun but crazy trip! Im glad you got to see your family! Traveling with 2 young kids must be hard!!

Jenny said...

you have been BUSY! jordyn's party looks awesome, your trip sounds so fun (good work knowing when to call it quits). i love your mom as a grandma! your babies are getting so big. they are so, so cute! that photo of jordyn asleep in her costume is precious ... what a great performer she is at such a young age!