Friday, June 06, 2008

The Hardest Work with the Sweetest Reward!

Our sweet baby Jordyn is here! Getting her here was the toughest thing in my life, but all worth it.

My water broke on Sunday around 11am. As I was eating toast, I looked up at my mom and said "Um I think my water just broke." As I ran to the bathroom, I heard Brooks from the backyard swinging in his hammock, "What did she just say? Did she just say her water broke?"
I knew that my road ahead was going to be long, but I didn't know that it was going to be that long. We just hung around the house all Sunday. My contractions were still about 20 minutes apart and they really weren't that bad. I finally got to sleep around 2am Monday morning but at 4am I started getting really nervous that my contractions weren't close enough and they weren't going to get closer until about 7am which put us in rush hour traffic trying to get to the hospital. So I decided to wake up Brooks and my mom and start heading to the hospital. The rule of thumb that we were going by was that my contractions needed to be 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, rhythmically for at least an hour. Well mine were about 8 minutes apart, but I was getting really nervous about the traffic. (If only I knew...)

So we got to the hospital around 4:30am and checked in. They checked me and said that I was only at 2cm, but my water has broken. I would have gone back home to labor some more, but they wouldn't let me because my water was broken. So I just knew it was go time at that point.

The doctor asked me what time my water broke. I told her I thought it broke at 4:30am, because I knew they were going to rush me along. They are afraid that if your water breaks for more than 24hrs you will have a dry birth. This isn't proven, but I am not going to get into that here. Anyway, I knew that if I told them my water broke at 11am Sunday morning, they would force me to get the baby out by 11am Monday morning. I knew Jordyn had plenty of fluid still around her. Brooks and I were 100% assured that she was just fine. Because I gave them that 4:30am time, I knew I was on a time clock for the hospital.

The main part of the labor wasn't horrible. I thought I was doing fine. I am a very slow laborer, but that is my body and I was ready to work with it. Brooks and I did our relaxation techniques and he was pro actively with me the whole time. I moved from the bed, to the shower, walked around and just enjoyed the laboring process. I was starting to throw up around 1pm so I thought I was going through transition and getting ready to meet Jordyn. The midwife came in to check me and said I was only at a four. I was so disappointed, but Brooks kept motivating me and we just kept trucking along. By around 6pm I started getting really weak. After not eating much and throwing whatever little I had up, I was really exhausted. I got hooked up to sugar water via IV. This really gave me a second wind. I started contracting hard and getting excited that I was getting closer. Fast forward to 11pm, and I am only at 6 cm. By this time my original midwife was off and I got an interesting midwife who used to work in the Army. GREAT! I just knew this wasn't going to be ok. She started getting really antsy with me. She started saying rude things like "Well, at this rate you won't be having a baby til Sunday." and, "I have two other rooms that just passed you. They are way further along." When did this become a horse race? I was going to have a baby on our time not hers!!! I was starting to get really stressed. Then the time clock was ticking. The nurses came in and started telling me that I needed to go onto Pitocin because I wasn't dilating fast enough and the baby needed to get here. Brooks and I asked everyone to step out of the room and we said a prayer. I knew that Pitocin was going to throw me over the edge and make my contractions 100% worse. After the prayer we decided to try a small amount of Pitocin. I really wanted a drug free birth, but the hospital was really on our case. When on Pitocin, I truly felt that I was going to die. I started at a two and then the nurse kept cranking it up. She completely didn't do what I asked. At one point Brooks had some choice words with her. It was horrible. The nurse kept telling me that I could get an epidural, but I knew that could slow me down. If I got an epidural then they could up the Pitocin to an unhealthy rate which could stress the baby. I have to tell you that there was a point when I look up at Brooks and thought I was going to die and he just kept holding my hand and said "Jacki remember your blessing, Jordyn will be here safely." I really could not have done this without him!!! My mom was at my side the whole time trying to help me bring Jordyn down. She kept saying, "bring her through your toes Jacki. All the way here." This part was absolutely horrible.





The midwife came back in after 20 minutes of being on Pitocin. She checked me to say I was at a 7 and said I better get going if I still wanted to enjoy my abdomen (I think that was her way of saying she thinks I need a cesarean.) I WAS LIVID! I worked hard for the next hour on Pitocin without and epidural and FINALLY made it to the point to push at 1am. Jordyn decided to turn her head in me so I was pushing her head out sideways, you know, the big way... not the most comfortable thing to do. Brooks and my mom held my legs while I pushed for 3 hours. About 2 and a half hours into pushing the midwife came back in and said that she might have to call the doctor to use forceps or a vacuum to get her out. Once again I was so upset and just pushed right through it.



Well really long story a little shorter, Jordyn was out at 4:35am June 3rd 2008. We couldn't be any happier!!! Can you please tell how EXHAUSTED we were!!!

I love her lips!

Just looking at Daddy.

Please notice how her head is completely lopsided. The cone isn't at the top but the side. That poor side came out first.

Coming home.


We just love her so much!

28 comments:

Lisa said...

Jacki, you are an amazing woman!! I can't believe you endured all of that! GOOD JOB!!!! She is absolutely beautiful, congratulations!!!!!

Pa Pa Jim said...

Some of the most wonderful occurrences in life take the greatest effort. You truly went through the ‘valley of death’ but your reward was more magnificent. How can you love someone that gave you so much pain? How can the Savior love us? Enjoy your new house, your new baby, with your old husband. Jordyn is gorgeous!!!! Now get to work on those video.

Love you GIRLS?

Kelly said...

She's BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to hold her!! Good job Jax!! I get tired everytime I hear this story!

John and Brieanne Dabney said...

i love those little lips! What a sweetie pie. Wow - you are supergirl. I can't believe you did that without an epidural. Congrats!

wendy_d23 said...

you are amazing. I am sorry they were not supportive at all! I hope everything is going well and she is nursing well, its so nice to have your mom there I am sure! Can't wait to meet her!

Jamiee said...

Wow, I give you a ton of credit for doing it all natural. I do not know how you did it, but she is gorgeous!

VirtualM said...

Giving birth....man, it's tough, no matter how you slice it. You're a champ, and Brooks did great to stand by you and be your advocate. Congrats to the whole family and welcome to earth, Jordyn!

Queen said...

I was hanging on to every word. What a story! She is precious. I love smelling newborns cause they are fresh from Heaven. You are truly Awesome.

Julie said...

Yeah! You did it! I knew you could. You are one tough cookie! I know you need some rest but I am dying to see the little sweetie. So email me when I could come for a short visit :)
ps- I might even have another gift for you...

jessica said...

Congrats Jax! I was reading your blog with tears in my eyes.

I just read an AMAZING story yesterday about Mothers. The Lord uses our bodies as "living sacfices" to bring his Spirit children into this world. You are blessed Daughter of Our Heavenly Father. I admire ALL your hard work.

I will forward the story to you via email.

Love,
jess

abbyB said...

Way to stand your ground in the delivery! I hope I can be that good when our time comes! Jordyn is gorgeous! Congrats!!!

Crystal said...

You guys are my hero! I love little Jordyn!

R.M. said...

Jax you are awesome! I hear the "ring of fire" is very painful!!!I had a nasty nurse when I delivered Jacob so I feel your pain. I didn't know you can ask for a replacement nurse/midwife if you want to (my doctor told me that). Anyway, she is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her on her first trip to the BIG APPLE! Love yall & miss yall!

Ry

Leezy Lindsey said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! I love all her hair!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Wow, Jacki, you are a hero! That is one heckuva birth story as well. CONGRATS to you for standing your ground and having the kind of birth you were hoping for. You rock!

And Jordyn is a cutie pie. You and Brooks are going to be in hog heaven with her for sure! :-)

Ashley.Preston.Tate said...

This sounds so much like my birth experience! I FEEL FOR YOU! We'll have to chat and share stories. Make sure you really relax for the next couple months so you can heal. Thanks for finally posting a picture. I've been waiting to see her!

jenny said...

she is beautiful. i love the one of her in the carseat. seriously jacki, you rock. labor and delivery is really the hardest thing EVER and you did it amazingly. i'm so proud of you. so glad she is here and healthy and that you all are doing well. we would love to come see her when you guys get settled in a little.
oh, and that nazi midwife should be fired. that is the last thing you need when going through that stress.

Jan said...

Congratulation! I can't believe you endured 36 hours of labor with out meds. Way to go! I thought I was going to die when I felt only an hour of pain during my first labor experience. I must say I enjoyed my last two labors much more because I felt no pain. Sounds like you didn't get good help at the hospital, that's too bad. Maybe you'll stay at home for the next one. Or find a better midwife. We are so happy for you! She's a doll.

Mom said...

Dearest Jacki and Brooks-
We are so happy for you! You were in our prayers from the time Camille told us that your water had broken. YOU ARE ONE TOUGH WOMAN!!! Jordyn is adorable, even lopsided. First babies nearly always get a little beat up -- breaking through uncharted territory and all. In a few days most of them are mostly rounded out and even again. Take plenty of time to rest and relax when she lets you. Don't let the excitement of showing her off to the world get out of hand. Take care of you, so you can be there for her. Erinn and I hope to come see you in a few days -- we'll give you a call! we love you all BUNCHES! Love, Chesnut Mom

claire said...

J and B, a big congratulations on your beautiful daughter! You really stuck with it in that tough labor, I admire that so much. Good on ya and call me if you need anything.

charles said...

YES! You are so awesome Jacki! We are so happy and proud of you and your family!

Laura said...

Jacki, YOU ARE MY HERO!! What an awesome story! If you can get through THAT you can get through ANYTHING! I'm so happy that the worst part is over and you can enjoy your sweet little girl. I wish we were there to come and visit and bring you some dinner!

Ginet said...

Congratulations! Good job sticking to your birth plan even when the people who were supposed to be "helping" you weren't! Jordyn is lucky to have such a strong mom.

Shawn and Alisha Stratton said...

How awesome Jacki...and Brooks! Congratularions. It is clear that Jordyn is truly a blessing. We can't wait to meet her in person. You have been and will be in our thoughts! She's so cute. We're very happy for you guys!

brenna said...

What a birth story! Way to get through and enjoy it all (except for such annoying medical staff). I was surprised at how smooth things went for me at the hospital, but I think the pressure really would have been on if I felt like I was on a race with the hospital's clock. I'm so glad everything ended up with such a beautiful girl. Take a picture each month of her in the car seat and you'll be amazed at how fast she grows.

Megan said...

Oh my goodness. You are already an amazing mom. What a story. Congratulations. You have a beautiful baby girl.

Ashley said...

Congrats! She is so precious. I am so impressed you endured all that without an epidural! You are amazing!!!

Stacy Christian said...

Jacki- WOW! Sounds like you had quite the delivery. You just proved to everyone who knows you that you are 'the woman'. Jordyn is SO SO SO cute! Absolutely beautiful. So now that you aren't pregnant anymore, I'm going to be calling you for fall volleyball! Go Warriors!