Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

I am appreciating Mother's Day even more this year! Maybe because this year I have a better idea the sacrifices mothers make. I have already been sick for 20 weeks, lost a lot of sleep and have become really uncomfortable and I haven't even held my baby in my arms yet. The sacrifices are just begining! The only thing that keeps me smiling is thinking about the great rewards that come with motherhood. I am really excited for those times.

I came across this quote from Majorie Hinkley and felt that I wanted it to be my "Mother Mission Statement". It just made motherhood sound so fulfilling!

"I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mother who set a great example for me and all of the other mothers that have touched my life! I love and appricieate all of you!

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

That was really touching, thanks for sharing! Happy Mother's Day to you!! You're going to be such a great mom. :)

J'net said...

Jax, that brought a tear to my eye!
You still have time to take that article publishing job for a couple weeks before baby!
You are a good daughter and I'm excited for you to join the ranks of "motherhood!"
It is truly one of the most valuable experiences to be had on this earthly journey and I am SO thankful to my kids for allowing me to "mother" them!!!
Love you! MOM

Shawn and Alisha Stratton said...

Happy Mother's Day (early)! The pics are great, and I know you're getting anxious. I don't think that belly can grow anymore! I hope you guys had a great weekend.

claire said...

I have always really liked that quote as well. Hope you had a happy mother's day.

jenny said...

i love that quote. that is what it is really about isn't it. being a mom is the hardest job EVER. however, i wouldn't trade it for anything. you are going to be a fantastic momma, i have no doubt. happy mothers day!

Pa Pa Jim said...

You do have a very good mother & you'll be even better. Happy Mother's Day to my little girl. Waiting patiently for grand daughter number 2!!!!!