Thursday, June 15, 2006

Be A Part of It... New York, New York

We had such a fun time in New York visiting Lexia! Brooks, Summer Clay, Lily, Macy and I all flew together. Our flight was 6 hours late, so we had to entertain ourselves. Summer and I got trashy gossip magazines and the girls got ice cream! The first day we went to see Lexia's thesis. It was the best project there!! And I am not just saying that because she is family... I know talent and she has it!!! After the art gallery we got hit by some nasty rain. Looking back it makes me laugh. Imagine 10 adults and 3 strollers trying to get a cab. We even managed to get 5 adults in one cab. Sorry that you had to ride by yourself Clay! We then went to Lexia's place... Super Cute!! Like the cute you call babies because they are so tiny... Just a joke! It is way cute though! Oh I forgot to mention that none of us had umbrellas during this incredible... tropical storm... is the correct term I suppose! So Brooks, Clay and I went to get umbrellas. Well $35 and 8 umbrellas later, we were ready to paint the town! We went and ate at this awesome hamburger joint... I mean hole in the wall, cash only joint! It was so good! The burgers were so big and tasty! What a treat!!! After that we went to Rockefeller Center. That is where they film "Good Morning America". It was a very pretty part of town. Brooks and I are standing infront of the Rockefeller Center as we stick out our bellies because we were so full from the hamburgers. Because we bought all of the umbrellas at a little stand, all of them were black. Lexia was the only one with a colored umbrella, so we always knew who to follow. Oh know Mary Poppins, it looks like the wind might blow you away! We also went to the Nintendo store. I have to admit that that was so much fun. I played Mario Dance Party with Sara, well at least until all the 8 year olds kicked us off. That crap is hard! I didn't get anything higher than a 'D'. After that we went back to our hotel. We stayed at the Hampton Inn right in Midtown. It was super nice. The beds were so great and soft with 4 pillows... yes people 4, and down heavy comforters. The only problem was that it was so small that the room didn't even had space for a regular television. Solution... PLASMA! Super Nice! Plus it had a wonderful Continental Breakfast in the morning... I am not talking about grab yourself a muffin and call it a Continental Breakfast breakfast... I am talking about a HOT breakfast! It was great. Hampton Inn also had hot chocolate and cookies at night. It was so nice. Well, after a good night sleep, we were up and ready to go. Saturday we walked around midtown... I almost killed myself with one of my really "smart" ideas, but I am ok. We went to Central Park and it started down pouring. Our stay there was short, but we got a little idea of what the park looked like. Then we hopped on the bus and walked around West Village trying to find Magnolia Bakery. It was so worth the walk though! The cupcakes were so great, but the banana pudding... it was slap yo' mama so good!!! After we grabbed our goodies we headed back to the hotel. We rested and then had to say goodbye to Sara and Cathy. Later that night, Blake, Lindsey, Summer, Clay, Brooks, Lexia and I all grabbed some food down at Time Square. It was so good! We were so exuasted by that time. That night Lexia spent the night at the hotel. So it was Summer, Clay and Lexia all in a full size bed. SO FUNNY!!! The next morning we had to say goodbye to Brent and move hotels. We were blessed to stay and none other than the LaQuinta in K-Town. Yes, as in Korea Town. We got two rooms so it gave us more room. Also, Sunday was the first day that Mr. Sun decided to grace us with his presence. So we got a lot in! It was so much fun. We went to Central Park again. That park is so big. And so much fun. There is everything there you can imagine. Volleyball, basketball, trails, playgrounds... you name it, it's there! After the park we headed to the Upper West Side to go see the temple. It was so neat. I don't have any pictures of it, but just take my word for it. You are walking around the nicest part of NY and you look up to see Angel Moroni right above you. There was a chapel there too and since it was Sunday we went in... plus the girls had to use the restroom. I have to say that as soon as I walked in, it was like I was home. All church buildings look the same. Or at least have the same feel. It was so much fun! We walked some more and found ourselves at Columbus Circle. It was so pretty with fountains and sculptures. Lily was so cute running around and posing for pictures. Macy was out and Sadie had to eat, so it was a great time to stop and relax. We decided to meet up with Lexia at a place called "Chat and Chew". It was the best resturaunt that I have eaten at in a while. They had homemade mac and cheese and a dish called Thanksgiving on a roll. The place was great. Plus they were playing great music. Macy was dancing and loving the old fashion toys they had for decor. Lily got a surprise sundae. The night was a success! Monday we had to check out of the one LaQuinta room, so that meant 6 adults and 3 kids for the night in one room. After Blake, Lindsey, Brooks and I moved all of our stuff into Clay and Summers room, we headed towards the Statue of Liberty. We got on the subway and went all the way downtown. While we were down in the subway I saw a little room that almost looked like a place where someone lived. Brooks and Sara told me of a documentary about people who lived under the subway. We are so blessed with all that we have. We made it to the Statue of Liberty and found out that the line was like a 2 hour wait. So we went on the harbor cruise. That worked out better because we got to learn about all the islands and we had a comfortable seat. It was so interesting. After the cruise we went to Ground Zero. What a humbling experience. The Twin Towers were so tall. Walking on those streets it was hard to imagine how loud and scary it must have been that early morning. It just seems so surreal. I am sure people that were actually there still can't believe what happened. 9/11 really cleared that whole block. There was a timeline there that illustrated when all the events took place. Both towers were hit within 20 minutes. That is just enough time to see that something is wrong, and then BOOM another plane comes in. UNBELIEVEABLE! After that Summer, Clay and the girls headed back to the hotel and Brooks and I started to walk. I mean WALK!!! We went from the Financial District, to Chinatown, then over to Little Italy and then Bowery. We then crossed over to Soho, to Noho and Greenwich Village to Washington Square. Up to Flatiron district and then up to Midtown. It was so neat seeing all the little towns. My favorite was Washington Square. That area is beautiful. We finally met everyone for dinner and then we went back to the hotel to sleep. That was our last night. Goodbye New York! Thanks Lex for letting us come and visit you! We had so much fun! We will be up there again soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jacki that probably took you a long to write! That was a really fun trip! I like your recap...very funny! I don't think you missed a thing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it all worked out for the best! You seem to know how to get around and make a weekend count!! Doesn't sound like much "shopping" took place, but lots of eatin', good call! LUV, MOM