I am in some "required" classes this semester which means that I am with a lot of right out of high school freshmen. I just need to preface that though I am only about um... 2 years older then these freshmen, I feel as though I could be their mother.
I was just sitting in class the other day and looked down at one of my "freshman buddies". He is your total cool kid that works at A&F, drives a Tahoe, always smells really nice and talks in this cool lingo. I was sitting back as the old married woman still in college and watching this boy interact. I thought to myself... He is really cool right now, but is this guy ever going to be able to provide for a family? Be a strong father figure? Support a wife? Now I know that that is very judgemental, but I really started thinking about it... What turns a boy into a man?
Now I don't think that it is what society would say... Infact I think that does the opposite! Is it just life's little struggles? I just don't know. I have seen many boys go through struggles and come out even more boyish. Is it a mission or a chance to serve? Once again no real answer. I know incredible men that have not served a mission and immature boys who have. Is it a good family? I have seen some bad apples come from good families.
Brooks is my idea of a man. He is smart, hard working, strong and sensitive. He is selfless, confident, humble and he knows how to handle women (thanks to his four sisters). I know that I am comparing apples (freshman boy) to oranges (a true man), but what turns that 'apple' into an 'orange'? I guess there is no equation! I am just really thankful for a wonderful man and teammate throughout life and eternity. I got a good one! I LOVE YOU BROOKS!
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Jacki, I really like this post. Well written! I don't have an answer to your question but I would agree that the Snow men are exceptional! :) We are very lucky girls...I mean women!
I think it's riches and good looks that turn boys into men.
Geez, when did Blake get on this riches and good looks kick?
Jacki, I think this is your best post to date. It's thoughtful and nice. And now that you know how good Snow males are, can you understand the pressure that Lexi and I have? We are practically programmed to compare every guy to our brothers and dad -- 3 of the best "men" anyone will ever meet! Are we picky? Maybe. But how could a girl not be picky when the examples around her are the best of the best?
Oh, future husband; where are you??? :)
Pubic hair? maybe not the answer you were looking for but lets all be honest< ( by the way it appears my comma button isnt working anymore) it does atleast help turn boys to men!
I believe that it is outside influences with a bit of wisdom like fathers, teachers, leaders etc. If those figures aren't around then it becomes friends and such. I know one of the Snow-men (no pun blah blah blah) and I'd agree with all Jacki said. His name always comes up in situations like this..."Do you know how to do this/that?" "No, do you?" "Well, call Brooks."
This kind of positive reinforcement will keep your man--"YOUR MAN!" Good job to let him and the world know you are sold on your pick.
A boy to a man has A LOT to do with where his heart is centered...
IF he is a natural man, he is all about himself and people pick up on that.
IF he is a good man he answers to his Lord.
I am thinking it takes a good mom, too, to help a good boy become a good man, then a smart wife reminds her good man just how GREAT he really is!!!
You're on track Jax, Luv, MOM
What a fantastic post Jacki! I have always noticed how you look UP to Brooks and praise him and hold him in high esteem. This is an excellent start for an eternal marriage. It is not just the SNOW, but the SCHMITT in Brooks that makes him a Great and solid man. Also,theMcCray,Berry,Roundy,Kerzner,Stelling,VanDevender,Marriott,Wade,Gibbons, etc, You get the picture! All those great families rolled into one person! Brooks! They are capable of doing most anything on both of my sides! Aint Geneology Grand?! MOM Snow
Post a Comment